Saturday 12 May 2012

The stars of the show...

I can't believe it's still only early May! There's just so much going on in the garden...flowers, foliage and today even sunshine! Below is just a little look at some of the real stars of the show at the moment...


Geraniums are one of those plants which are slightly underappreciated, I feel! Be it Johnson's Blue or something like this wonderful shade-loving Phaeum, there's usually at least one Geranium tucked away in a garden which is doing its thing without anyone paying it any particular attention. But look closely and you see it really has such an exquisite flower! Look at the colours, the details, the light shining through! Gorgeous!


As soon as I walk out of our back door, this wonderful perennial wallflower greets me! I wish I knew which one it was, but it's a 'rescue' from the 'End of Season' aka 'At Death's Door' section of Sprowston Garden Centre and I'm not sure it ever had a label. Anyway, it's been flowering for at least a month now and looking absolutely glorious. It's particularly well placed just beneath the Ceanothus...all that blue and orange...mmmm!


Just across the path from the wallflower is this wonderful little Geum with delightful creamy-yellow flowers. I thought I knew what all my Geums were, but I seem to not have this on my 'database' (yes, I really do have a spreadsheet of plants in the garden!) Still, really coming into its own at the moment, though still at the shy and retiring stage as the flowers slowly open. Check out all the little hairs on the stem and back of the flower, glinting in the sunshine.


Alongside all the flowers wowing me at the moment, there's lots of lovely foliage! Hydrangea 'Sabrina' is particularly impressive with its rich, red leaves.


And needless to say, the Berberis is just as stunning as ever, particularly with a bit of backlighting!


And, who could forget the brand new leaves of my bright acid-green Cotinus Coggygria 'Golden Spirit'. It's a real beauty!


The bright acid green of the Cotinus is the colour of the season, what with all my Euphorbias! In a rather divine accident I planted the Euphorbia polychroma in the background of this picture right next to this Allium...I honestly had no idea at the time! Can't wait to see the combination when the Allium (Purple Sensation, I'm assuming) is fully open...it's looking quite stunning enough already!


Needless to say, the Ceanothus is a real star at the moment. Every year that it comes back I feel massively grateful because soon after we bought it - as a tiny little thing about three years ago - it nearly kicked the bucket! Now it's unstoppable and resplendent at the moment! The bees are loving it...




 This wallflower - Erysimum 'Chelsea Jacket' - is new to me...recently purchased from the wonderful Richard Hobbs when his garden was open for the NGS. Sadly a pigeon decapitated it the other day, so the top few flowers never got the chance to open, but I'm sure there'll be more soon. I certainly hope so...what a little beauty...and it worked so well with the Acer and Euphorbia behind it, and was set to be a great combination with the Alliums!


Spring favourites abound at the moment. The late daffodils are making an appearance, though I can't remember what this one is! And the Pulsatillas have been putting on an impressive display...looking forward to the seedheads next...


And my gorgeous little Veronica 'Georgia Blue' is still looking absolutely stunning, with those purple stems and delicate, violet-tinged little flowers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment